Tuesday, June 3, 2014

The Bodhisattva

A bodhisattva works at Planet Care.  You can find him in the "dish room."  We often speak together of existential problems and techniques for transcendence.  We are able to gauge each other's internal climate the way a meteorologist tracks a storm.  Ultimately, we manage to help each other feel better when there are obstacles in our paths.

Last night I said to the bodhisattva, "I do not like this game called making money that was invented by some person a long time ago.  I don't even understand the rules of this game.  Who invented this game of making money?  Who?!"

The bodhisattva said, "You!  You did!"

We both fell into hysterical laughter.  

"Of course!  I did!  I invented this game!  I did!  And I know all its rules!"

Later, I walked through the dish room and the bodhisattva said to me, "That's it!  I'm finished!"

"What do you mean?"

"I quit!  I never want to see another dish in my life!"

I commiserated with him for a moment.  Then I said, "Thich Nhat Hanh says washing dishes is like bathing the baby buddha."  

The bodhisattva's eyes lit up.  "Ah!  Yes!  I will kiss each dish from now on."  And he pulled a large pan out of the soapy water and gingerly kissed it.   

No comments:

Post a Comment